Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Living in denial



Mom gets confused about what day it is, what we are doing or where we’re going sometimes. She loses things and gets frustrated. She’ll tell the same funny stories like we’ve never heard them before. Her geriatric doctor recommended I read a book about caring for loved ones suffering from Alzheimer’s/dementia. I bought the book, but I couldn’t even bring myself to open it.
I realized I simply don’t want to read it.
It’s my way of dealing with this 
very cruel disease.
I don’t have to read about it. I could write a book about it. I watched my two great aunts “deteriorate.” We’re told to prevent dementia by keeping our minds sharp doing puzzles and reading. But Aunt Lou was very well-read. She was brilliant, graduating from prestigious Wellesley College at a time when few girls went to college. I watched the disease take over her mind and body until she needed to live in a personal care home.  Aunt Elma raised four children and was a very fun person.
Then the next generation, both of Mom’s beloved sisters.
Aunt Elsie Lou was a librarian at Kutztown University and Aunt Buffy was a gifted artist.
The progress was slow but they both ended up bedridden,
not recognizing their own children or grandchildren.
WHAT A HORRIBLE DISEASE THAT ROBS PEOPLE OF EVERYTHING!


 Now it’s Mom’s turn. How soon will it be my generation as my cousins 
are entering their 60s? 

Both of Mom’s sisters had it for 25 years
getting symptoms in their late 50’s or early 60’s. You don’t usually hear of people who live with it for that length of time. In fact I've NEVER HEARD of anyone who had it as long as they did.

Mom was certainly blessed not to get it until
later in her years!


Denial is my chosen way to handle Mom. I just want to focus on positive things. Instead of going to a caregivers support group or reading about Alzheimer’s, I am too busy taking Mom places. I throw her walker in my car and I take her to Burrell Lake Park. She walks slowly all the way around the lake. She’s 87 and I am so proud of her. I take her to Keystone Park. I take her to Kennywood, the museum, a nephew’s football games, out to lunch. We don’t have to spend money. We are happy building a fire in a grill at the park on a cold day. We went to a shelter in the middle of a summer storm. We go hear a band play on Wednesdays. I take her to the library. We play Scrabble.
Every day with Mom is a blessing!

And the most unbelievable experience yet? We went camping at Crooked Creek last week. My 18-year-old daughter, Julia, and I slept on air mattresses in a tent and Mom slept in the back seat of the car. She loved the entire camping trip. Julia pitched the tent and I built a campfire and cooked dinner. A friend joked that Mom would be fine even if she’s homeless, living in the car!!! Mom is certainly a TROOPER!

Amy Louise Geertz Kriss

Lower Burrell, PA


No comments:

Post a Comment