Blog Archive

Sunday, August 25, 2019

The Christmas Tree by Bob Geertz

When I moved to Swissvale, it was late November. Kids were little, me n the ex were fighting, and that's putting it mildly. Kids loved my little new home n I went right at it to make it a safe n fun haven for kids. Then they showed up in tears, telling me how Mom got a tree but would not let them help decorate. I had no plans on getting a tree as my Christmas spirit was not shining, but this news bothered me. I had nothing for a tree as I had left everything with their Mom. They were so upset, I literally had to walk them a few blocks away n pick out a tree n drag it back to my tiny new apartment. Then we went across the street to Family Dollar and I got cheap lights n ornaments and I let them do all the decorating. That tree became the basis for one of those magical memories to be cherished in my heart forever more. They were so happy and proud that I made a rule, "no grownups are allowed to decorate." They spent hours on their tree, changing their minds n moving ornaments from one branch to another, fighting with each other over what ornaments look better, "The ones I put on, or the ones she put on?" They wanted the tree perfect for when Santa came. The whole month of December revolved around the tree. We played games by the tree, they fought over who sits closest to the tree to eat dinner and they constantly added or moved things around on the tree, even bringing Christmas artwork from school. And yupp, you guessed it, Santa, being the kind man he is, saw this effort put forth and graced (spoiled) them with a ton of presents under the tree Christmas morning!! And that was the start of a Christmas tradition of mine. I don't do trees anymore, my kids do. I drink coffee n put on music and make jokes while they do all the work. This is the first year my daughter is out of state and will not be flying in to do my tree. That sucks. I am, however, counting on Justin Huchok and his way cool girl Trisha Sterf to be doing my tree this year. I forget how. Coffee n tunes n dogs n Christmas spirit and laughter and no arguing over whose ornaments look better! Gotta make plans soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment