Blog Archive

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Two High School Essays - by Julia and Keriann



Julia's essay
What factors Shaped Your Life and Academic Success?

     In a large part, I owe my academic success to my family. I believe each of the successful traits I possess came from the support of my family members. 
      First, my mother (Amy) has done everything in her power to encourage me in whatever I do. While I was a gymnast for ten years, she never missed a meet. She drove long distances sometimes in different states to loudly cheer for me no matter how I was doing. My mother also supported my participation in cheerleading, drama club, and academics. With each good report card, she praised my grades, inspiring me to do my best in school. She taught me the responsibility of saving money by opening a savings account and teaching me how to balance a checkbook. Her guidance has taught me responsibility and to always stick by family. She homeschooled me and taught me fun lessons and took me on many field trips.
      Similarly, my father (Mark) encouraged my academic success. He majored in chemical engineering so he is proficient in math and science. My dad spent hours of his time on the phone, explaining any math or science question that I didn’t understand. His assistance taught me to enjoy math and working with numbers, which I plan to pursue in my career.
      While I excel in math, my sister (Kerry) excelled in classes that led to a successful career in speech therapy. I have always looked up to her as a role model because she made a career for herself, and then started a family. She always advised me to put my career first. Growing up with a sister fourteen years older than me taught me maturity. She showed me everything from applying make-up for the first time to acting professional. Her hard work has influenced my desire to work hard. Some have said I have good work ethic, and I believe it came from watching my sister succeed. I work at Wendy’s for 25 hours a week, which has taught me time management and money management skills.
      My sister’s ambitious husband (Gary) has shaped my life in the past five years. He owns a lucrative construction business in Lower Burrell. My sister and her husband’s generous financial support allowed me to travel with them on several cruises and beach vacations, which I would never have been able to do with my family’s financial situation. I’ve visited several Caribbean islands with them. These expensive trips inspired me to strive to make a decent living so I can afford to travel on my own eventually.  I’ve had amazing opportunities throughout my life due to my sister and brother-in-law.
      My maternal grandmother (Abbie) and I have always been close. She’s my only living grandparent. She lives near me, and stays at my house often. Her short term memory is failing, but her extensive knowledge of history is impressive. She can recite the entire Gettysburg Address as well as many poems and several Shakespeare quotations. She lived through the Great Depression, so she tells many stories that relate to historical topics we are studying in school. I enjoy the history lessons and stories my grandmother has taught me since I was a young girl.
      My uncle (Bob) has been influential since I was a child. One characteristic that runs in my family is a sense of humor. With sarcasm and satire, my uncle never fails to give the whole room a stomach ache from laughing so hard. He helped form my aspirations to use comedy in my everyday life and try to make people laugh. My uncle is also well-versed in politics. He is open about his conservative beliefs and is constantly updating me on the latest political events.
      I’ve worked hard in my studies to be where I am today, but I couldn’t have done it without the loving support of my family. They have each played a role in influencing my academic life and personality traits through their encouragement, knowledge, wit, and ambitions.
By Julia Emily Kriss
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kerry was accepted into college with this essay
What Defines me as a Person
Most impressionable fourteen-year-olds put on many faces and play many roles. They experiment, sometimes rebelliously to figure out who they are. In my ninth grade year I became Julia's big sister, a gift that defined me as a person. Julia taught me to appreciate how precious, yet fragile, life can be. From the first moment I held her in my arms, I embraced a new sense of responsibility. While her little, delicate body rested helplessly in my arms, I realized that she put all her trust in me to hold her and protect her. This innocent life completely depended on my parents and me to take care of her.
While most of my peers questioned their parents' beliefs and challenged their values,
I DID JUST THE OPPOSITE. I LEARNED FROM THEM.
I observed the techniques my parents used in caring for Julia, for instance loving her, bathing, feeding, and dressing her, as well as how to deal with disciplining her as she grew older. I appreciated the many sacrifices they made. Also, now that I had a baby sister, I strongly disapproved of abortions. Beholding Julia I cannot understand how anyone can  destroy such beautiful life. Though Julia was "planned," I know of many children who were not. Unplanned pregnancies, while expensive and inconvenient, can turn out to be wonderful blessings. I believe that everything happens for a reason. Not only do I adore and appreciate other children more than before because of her, and it breaks my heart to hear that one in four pregnancies in our country ends in abortion.
Helping to care for Julia inspires a more practical outlook toward my future as well. I know that I wasn't to wait until I am older, married, and financially stable before I consider having children. Although I love my sister with all my heart, she gives me the opportunity to experience the great responsibilities needed to provide for her. Her care requires devoted time and attention. I have learned firsthand that parents make many sacrifices, especially for their babies. Late at night when she cried I used to pick her up and rock her to sleep, or change her diaper, and then bring her to my half-asleep mother so she could nurse. My poor mother lost countless hours of sleep night after night. Suddenly our whole way of living revolved around the baby. No longer could we go anywhere we wanted to go. If Julia needed a nap we would have to wait for her to awaken, or if she fussed when we were out, we would leave early. Ironically, these kinds of shared sacrifices brought our family closer together. I followed my mother's model for taking care of my sister and I learned how to become a responsible parent. Our newest addition to the family gave my parents and me something in common. Julia's triumphs, failures, humorous moments, as well as sad moments became bonding topics of conversation at the dinner table. We worked together to care for her. I still valued my independence but Julia made me realize, even as a young teenager, how much a family depends on one another for love and support.




No comments:

Post a Comment