Blog Archive

Sunday, June 4, 2017

David Bachman - Ancestry DNA

Guys, I could not print this from the website. The website seemed more interested in trying to sell me more services, but you can see the results.

Western Europe  37%
            This seemed low to me. Based on looking my ancestors that I know, I thought this would be above 50%, but you can see my theory below.

Great Britain   29%
            This seems a little low. My grandfather was a Scottish immigrant, so that accounts for 25%. I did hear my dad’s side had some English so this makes sense.

Scandinavian 14%
            This is surprising, but upon thinking about it, this makes sense. Scandinavian ancestry includes Denmark, and the part of Germany my mother’s family came from (the Jacob Boehmer, whose trunk Lindsay still has) is north central Germany. This is flat farm country that flows into Denmark. Like most European areas, the population has flowed back and forth over the centuries, just as the official boundaries have. One of the moves Bismarck did was to annex Schleswig Holstein from Denmark. So perhaps some intermarriage occurred between a Dane and a German. The time period of the annexation was shortly before Jacob and his sons came to America.

Ireland  12%
            This is a total surprise, but based on the relatively low English number (only 4% above the known 25% from my maternal grandfather) my Dad’s “English ancestry” was actually mostly Irish.

West Asia        1%
            This is a surprise, but I can believe that a Genghis Kahn horseman could have dismounted for a short time while ravaging in Germany.

So this is very interesting. Thanks to my kids for getting me this for Father’s Day! (yes, last year’s Father’s Day. I am not sure where my mother’s procrastination came from, but I got a bit of that). These results explain a lot. The German  in me is evident. The Scandinavian explains some of my tolerance and love of taking little boats into rough seas where they have no business being. The British is mainly my Scottish grandfather, which explains why I sometimes am a bit frugal and also explains some of my love of hiking in mountains, tribal loyalty, and wearing woman’s clothing. The Irish in me explains my rebellious spirit, my love of beer, and my affinity to Notre Dame. The Genghis Khan? Well, ask your mother……


From: AncestryDNA [mailto:AncestryDNA@ancestry.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2017 11:28 AM
To: davidbachman@bachmanbuilders.com
Subject: David Bachman shared some exciting AncestryDNA results with you

No comments:

Post a Comment